Interesting facts about London, England.
- London is the 9th biggest city in the world and the biggest city in the European Union.
- The City of London is the historical core of the English capital. It roughly matches the boundaries the Roman city of Londinium and of medieval London.
- Brought back from China by Dutch merchants, tea made its first appearance in London in September 1658, when the new beverage was advertised in a pamphlet by Thomas Garraway, a coffeehouse owner.
- The Monument commemorating the Great Fire of London in 1666 is the tallest isolated stone column in the world. It rises to 202 ft (62 m) on Fish Hill, 202 ft away from where the fire began, in a bakery in Pudding Lane.
- Founded in 1694, the Bank of England was the first privately owned national bank in any country.
- The world's first public street lighting with gas was installed in Pall Mall, London in 1807. In 1812, the London and Westminster Gas Light and Coke Company became the world's first gas company.
- The world's oldest public zoo opened in London in 1828.
- In 2012 London became the first city to host the modern Olympic Games three times, having previously done so in 1908 and in 1948.
- In Britain, motorists drive on the left – except for one road: Savoy Court, leading into the Savoy Hotel, where cars enter and exit on the right. This was changed by an act of parliament, to enable women to exit cars first, since they traditionally sat behind the driver (from horse and carriage days).
- More languages are spoken in London than in any other city in the world (270).
- 23 and 24 Leinster Gardens in Paddington are dummy houses built to hide the Tube line running underneath (the Metropolitan). The windows are painted on, and behind the façade is a track. Local pizza firms will ignore your request for delivery here – they’ve heard it before.
- Big Ben is actually the bell, not the clock. You can’t actually SEE Big Ben but you can hear him chime!
If you can contribute more interesting facts about the city or have any other additional info about the places shown on the webcams please write here